Sunday, January 27, 2013

The War Memorials of Workington, Cumbria

1. Workington War Memorial, Vulcans Park (Front)

2. Workington War Memorial, Vulcan's Park (Rear)

3. Workington War Memorial, Vulcan's Park (1st side)

4. Workington War Memorial, Vulcan's Park (2nd side)

For additional information click on 'Comments' below. 

3 Comments:

Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

Additional information

Workington's War Memorial

The War Memorial for the Borough of Workington, Cumbria seen in the photographs above can be found in the town's Vulcan Park. Although the names of the townsfolk who lost their lives during the First and Second World Wars have not been engraved on the memorial they are still here - inside the memorial.

On 24 June 1928 the original list of 554 names of the 'Fallen' of the First World War was placed inside a casket and sealed within the memorial. This symbolised a final resting place in their home town for the service men and women who had died in the 1914 - 1918 war. It was also a place of peace and quiet that their relatives and friends could visit and pay their respects.

The memorial was unveiled by Mrs Catherine A. Henderson of Workington. It was believed that Mrs Henderson was the Workington resident who had suffered the greatest loss of close family members during the 1914 - 1918 war. Mrs Henderson had borne the loss of four sons, a brother and a nephew. On the same day as Mrs Henderson unveiled the memorial the Bishop of Carlisle led the service of dedication.

In November 1955 a further 170 names of the 'Fallen' of the Second World War from Workington were placed inside a casket and sealed within the memorial.
------------------------

Sunday, 27 January, 2013  
Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

Workington's 21st Century War Memorial

On 11 May 2007, a new war memorial for Workington was dedicated inside St Michael's Parish Church. The new memorial took the form of five brass plaques mounted on a framed oak board. To be included on the memorial the individuals had to have died whilst in the service of the crown during military engagements, or subsequently died of injuries and lived within the Workington parishes / wards of St Michael’s (Workington), Northside, Siddick, St John’s (Workington), Moss Bay / Salterbeck, Stainburn and Harrington.

Originally, Harrington was a separate parish from Workington that subsequently became part of the Borough of Workington. Thus, the names of the 'Fallen' from the parish of Harrington have been included on the memorial inside St Michael's church. In addition, the names of two post-WW2 servicemen from the town known to have died on active service have also been included.

As a consequence of these changes, when it was unveiled in 2007 the memorial inside St Michael's Parish Church, Workington commemorated 882 service men and women. The 882 casualties listed on the St Michael's memorial date from the following conflicts:

First World War - 644
Second World War - 236
Korean War - 1
Iraq conflict - 1
______________________
TOTAL (in 2007) = 882
______________________

On one of the brass plaques space has been left for an additional 35 names.
-------------------------

Sunday, 27 January, 2013  
Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

The Vulcans Park War Memorial

Workington's War Memorial in Vulcan's Park is made of pink Shap granite and is a Grade II listed building. It was designed by Sir Robert Stodart Lorimer, KBE, ARA, RSA. Four bronze panels, designed by Alex Carrick, ARSA, are inlaid in alcoves on each face of the memorial.

On each of the four faces of the War Memorial in Vulcans Park a coat of arms has been engraved, namely those of the Borough of Workington, the county of Cumberland, the Border Regiment and the Royal Artillery. On the top of the granite structure is an engraved lamp: representing the Eternal Flame that will always be lit in remembrance of the 'Fallen' of Workington.

Towards the top of the front face of the memorial the Borough of Workington coat of arms has been engraved. It represents much of Workington's seafaring and steel making past. At the top of the coat of arms is a unicorn. Below this is a sailing ship, the hatchment of the Curwen family (traditional Lords of the Manor of Workington) and a blast furnace. There is also the town motto in Latin: "Floreat Castellum Et Oppidum". The motto can be translated as: "To be Distinguished for Castle and Fortified Town".

The four bronze panels on the memorial depict the following scenes:
(a) a soldier's farewell to his wife and child;
(b) a soldier carrying a wounded comrade to safety;
(c) a scene of men working at the steel works;
(d) a scene of underground coal miners digging for coal .

The actual wording on the front of the memorial is simple and straightforward:
"Lest We Forget"
1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945.
--------------------

Sunday, 27 January, 2013  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home